Red Wine Braised Bison Plate Short Ribs - Kosher Bison Plate Short Ribs
This slow and low recipe is perfect for Bison plate short ribs, leaving them delicious and falling off the bone!
3 lbs bison plate short ribs, bone in
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled & halved
4 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 bulb fennel, cut in half
2½ cups red wine
2 cups Bison Bone Broth (can sub beef broth if not available)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
Kosher Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. On the stove heat a Dutch oven or other heavy bottom pan over medium high heat.
3. Generously season the bison ribs with salt and pepper.
4. Once the pan is hot, add olive oil.
5. Sear Bison ribs on all sides. This is not to cook the ribs, only to give them a delicious brown crust, so do not leave them on the heat for long.
6. Remove ribs to a plate. Lower heat and add more olive oil to pan. Add veggies.
7. Let the veggies cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until they start to soften slightly.
8. Add red wine, stock, and diced tomatoes. Stir in herbs and return the bison short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil on the stove top, then cover, and place in the oven for 3.5 hours.
9. After carefully removing the lid, remove meat to a platter and strain the braising liquid.
10. Pour some of the strained braising liquid over the bison ribs before serving. Serve with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for a delicious meal.