Sweet and Spicy Bison Shoulder Roast - Boneless Shoulder
This recipe calls for spices and dried fruits, giving your Bison Shoulder Roast a delicious sweet and spicy flavor! It is great over couscous or rice.
1 3-4 pound Bison Shoulder, cubed
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 medium-size onions, roughly chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium-size turnips, peeled and chopped (can be subbed for more carrots)
3 clove garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
2/3 cup dried apricots
2/3 cup prunes, pitted
4 cups bison bone broth (or beef stock if not available)
1. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot with olive oil.
2. In a bowl, toss the bison cubes in the flour.
3. Shake the cubes well and place them in the pot in batches, being sure not to crowd the meat.
4. Brown the meat on all sides and transfer to a plate (note– you are just browning the bison, not cooking it, so be careful to not overcook the meat)
5. Put all of the browned meat back in the pan and sprinkle it with the salt, cinnamon, ginger and pepper.
6. Then add the vegetables, garlic and dried fruit.
7. Pour in enough stock for the meat and veg to be three-quarters covered, and bring it to a boil, then lower to a simmer
8. Cover and simmer gently for 2 hours, until tender and fragrant.