Flavorful Bison Curry - Kosher Bison Stew Meat
Bison stew meat is delicious in any chili or stew, but this savory and fragrant curry really blends flavors well. It is delicious served over basmati rice or noodles.
Ingredients:2-3 pounds bison stew meat
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
¼ cup canola oil
3-4 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced lengthwise
2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into 2 inch sections
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
2 bay leaves
4 cups homemade bison bone broth (if not available, beef is fine)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 pound yellow potatoes, chopped into cubes
1 tablespoon coconut cream
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
1. Mix together the paprika, Kosher salt and turmeric powder in a bowl. Add the stew meat cubes into the seasoning mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Set aside to marinate.
2. Heat the canola oil in a large pot with a lid over medium-high heat.
3. Add in the slices of ginger and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add in the lemongrass and cook for another minute or two until tender and fragrant.
4. Reduce the heat slightly and add in the bay leaves, and minced garlic. Reduce the heat all the way to medium-low. Continue to stir frequently and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the seasoned bison stew meat cubes into the pot. Pour the bison bone broth over top and stir.
6. Turn up the heat and bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
7. Add in the Madras curry powder and garam masala powder, along with the chopped potatoes. Stir and adjust seasoning to taste. Cook for approximately 15 more minutes until the potatoes are softened.
8. Let the curry sit for 30 minutes before serving. Stir in the tablespoon of coconut cream.
9. Optional– garnished with chopped cilantro and lime before serving