Bison Tongue Tacos - Kosher Bison Tongue
Bison Tongue has long been considered a delicacy in American history. This delicious, creamy delicate meat has a consistency similar to pate and lends itself well to many dishes, especially tacos!
1 bison tongue, 1.5-2lb
1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
3-4 bay leaves
1.5 teaspoon peppercorns
1 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher tortillas (2-3 per person)
Taco toppings, such as salsa, sliced avocados and chopped red onion
1. To begin this recipe you must first prepare the tongue. In a large stock pot place the tongue, garlic, yellow onion, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt.
2. Add water to pot until all ingredients are covered by at least 1.5-2 inches of water and heat to boiling
3. After reaching a boil, immediately reduce heat and cover the pot. Simmer for three hours, or until the tongue is soft and tender.
4. Now it is time to remove the skin. Carefully take the tongue out of the water and let it cool. (you can throw away remaining water)
5. Remove the skin-like covering from the tongue using your fingers or a small knife. You should also remove the rough patch of meat where the tongue was attached to the bottom of the bison’s mouth.
6. Slice the peeled tongue in 1⁄4 inch slices.
7. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium high and sauté the slices until they’re lightly browned on both sides.
8. Remove the browned tongue from the pan and carefully cube the meat.
9. Heat the tortillas in a pan, then assemble tacos by adding a large spoonful of the diced tongue in the center of each tortilla.
10. Top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!