Pan Seared Ribeye Steaks with Mushrooms - Kosher Bison Boneless Ribeye
2 8 oz Boneless Bison Ribeye Steaks
1 1/2 tablespoon preferred vegetable oil
4 tablespoons Kosher Margarine
2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
3 sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 cloves Garlic, smashed
1 Shallot, minced
6 oz Mushrooms of choice, quartered
1/4 cup White Wine
Kosher salt and pepper
1. Remove bison steaks from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temp. Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Season the steaks liberally with kosher salt and black pepper.
2. Preheat a large 12” metal or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl the pan to coat it with oil evenly.
3. Add bison steaks one at a time, cooking on the first side for about two minutes.Once the steak starts to form a crust on the bottom, flip the steak and cook for another minute until medium-rare.
4. Turn off the heat. Add 3 tablespoons margarine, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and smashed garlic cloves to the pan.
5. Tilt the pan, then use a spoon to gather herbs and butter to baste over the steak. Cook the steak to the desired doneness, being careful to not overcook. Bison is very lean, so medium-rare (about 130 degrees Fahrenheit) is ideal for retaining tenderness.
6. Remove bison steaks to a cutting board and allow it to rest while making mushrooms.
7. Place the pan back over medium-high heat. The pan should still have leftover butter and browned bits. Add shallots to the pan and cook them for about 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
9. Next, deglaze the pan with white wine and scrape brown bits from the pan. Reduce the wine until it has evaporated, and the pan is almost dry.
10, Add one tablespoon margarine and swirl it well to emulsify it into the mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Pour mushroom mixture over steak and enjoy!